Tuesday, September 24, 2013

September Birchbox and Ruffian Manicure Tutorial

September Birchbox
If you missed the video of my September Birchbox you can watch it below.  I got some fun products in this month's box as well as with my Birchbox points.

One of the products inside was a cute little nail polish from Ruffian's new nail polish line.   It is a super juicy orange with a beautiful shimmer to is called Fox Hunt (watch the video to see why I was especially excited about the color name).  Pictured below is the polish bottle with its unique rounded cap.  It is very easy to hold on to and the brush is a good shape and size as well.


 It is hard to capture the beauty of this color on camera.  It is so shimmery and has a pinkish pearlesence in the bottle and on the nail.  Depending on the light it can look like a dark shimmery orange or a bright orangey-red.  I am so happy to have this color for Fall.  It will let me get away with a bright, shiny color that still goes with the color scheme of the changing leaves, pumpkins and of course Halloween.  This is how I wore this polish...

Quick Tutorial

The Ruffian manicure style is usually done with 2 contrasting colors that are overlapped but leave a half moon shape at the base of the nail.  I wanted to show you how to do a similar look with just one polish and some nail stickers.  Here are the materials I used:
 The nail stickers came from Born Pretty Store. 
You can find similar stickers from brands like Kiss or Broadway Nails and on ebay, Amazon, or at beauty supply stores like Sally Beauty.

The first thing I did was to paint a base coat on my nails.  Then I applied 1 coat of the Ruffian Fox Hunt nail polish.
Not only does this polish go on extremely smoothly but it has amazing coverage with just one coat as pictured below.
 Wow!  Just one coat for full opacity and vibrant color.  I was impressed for sure.  I went ahead and did a second coat out of curiosity.  As you can see in the picture below it is maybe a tad darker with a second coat, but you sure don't need to do one.
The next step in this Ruffian manicure is to trim the nail sticker to size.
 Then as shown in order below you simply:  center the sticker at the base of the nail being sure not to touch the cuticle, press it down firmly (I just used the tip of the scissors), and add a fast drying topcoat.



 This could not be more quick and easy to do and it came out super cute.  The first picture below is taken in natural light while the second one is taken under artificial light to really showcase the shimmer and depth that this polish color has. (you can click on any picture to make it larger)

 I just love how these nails came out.  You could do a Ruffian manicure with so many different color combinations or try all kinds of nail stickers like these ones to spice it up.  I want to try using a creme purple or navy blue with this color next time.
Be sure to check out Birchbox and the Ruffian nail lacquer collection HERE.  You can't find these polishes anywhere else just yet.
Thanks for stopping by and let me know if you try this fun nail look.
 

1 comment: