Friday, December 7, 2012

My First Try with Fimo Slices

I have always loved polymer clay and have long been fascinated with Fimo canes and slices.  The details that clay artists can achieve with rolling the clay and the colors they use fascinates me.  I tried making a cane back when I used to dabble in polymer clay and Sculpey.  I did a ladybug cane that was less than perfect and that was the only time I tried it.  When I became interested in nail art I began to see Fimo canes being used with acrylic nails.  Needless to say I was interested right away in trying it for myself on my natural, short nails.  I ordered some Fimo cane slices in various fruit, flower and animal shapes from ebay at about $.99 a wheel to play with.  This is just one of the wheels.

This manicure was my first try.  I used 3 flower slices on my ring fingers after I applied two coats of polish in Pacific Blue by Sally Hansen and let them dry.

Then I applied 1 coat of clear polish.  While it was still wet I grabbed the slices with tweezers and laid them on the wet nail where I wanted them to go.  As the polish dries the slices want to curl up so with the tweezers I carefully pushed the edges down for about 30 seconds.  I then added 2 thick coats of a fast dry topcoat to each nail.  My favorite is Seche Vite.  

The topcoat smooths everything down very well. 

 The slices stayed on my nail perfectly the entire time I wore the polish.  I did not have any snagging, lifting or anything else.  I think I did pretty well for my first time.  I am very excited to try using the cane slices again soon.  I think the lemon and lime fruit shapes will be fun for the Summer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment